Sometimes the cooking gods are against you and everything seems to stand in your way to make one dish! This week all I wanted to do was make Thai Chicken Pizza, a recipe I’ve been hanging on to for months now. It seemed like the perfect occasion to make it – nice weather, springtime ingredients – and it will be an easy weeknight meal and can double as lunch the next day. Fabulous, fantastic! You’re so clever!
And then, everything this week just stood in my way… from the grocery store not having pre-made pizza crust to then resorting to making pizza dough from scratch to said homemade pizza dough not working to finally finding pre-made pizza crust at last… it was a struggle. So after many failed attempts and false starts, I finally made this great Thai Chicken Pizza. And you know what? It was worth it!
The best part of this pizza is definitely the peanut sauce that is a mixture of peanut butter, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and siracha simmered over low heat. It’s easy to make from scratch and would go great with asian noodles, chicken or even seafood. And the toppings… I opted for diced red pepper, sliced zucchini, ribbons of carrots, diced rotisserie chicken and diced scallions. Cilantro would also be great!
Shout out to Baked Bree for the recipe!
I’m not a purist when it comes to pizza… circle or square, I’m a fan; pizza doesn’t need to have tomato sauce in my book (white pizza is delicious); and any ingredient will do (within reason I’d say). And while you might scrunch your nose up at the idea of an asian inspired pizza, it’s definitely worth a try.
The veggies on top mixed with the chicken give it great flavor paired with the sauce and there’s contrasting textures that work really well. I’m telling you, it’d be a hit!
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- ½ cup boiling water
- cooked chicken cut into pieces
- red pepper
- green onions
- Mozzerella cheese
- pizza dough
- Put the ingredients except for the boiling water into a bowl. Put the sauce into a saucepan and let it cook through until it is hot. Add enough hot water to get it the consistency you want.
- Slice the vegetables and grate the carrots. Slice the limes to squeeze over the pizza when it is finished cooking.
- Roll out the pizza dough. Spread some of the sauce over the pizza crust. Add the vegetables and cheese.
- Bake in a 500 degree oven that has been preheated for at least 30 minutes.